Slips, trips and falls are a major hazard in the workplace. Falls are one of the top three causes of injury in youth on the job.
November is fall prevention month, and we want to remind all of you to identify common hazards at work, so you can avoid an incident or injury.
- Clean up spills and properly mark wet areas on the floor.
- Remove debris and clutter from the floor, and make sure wires and cords are not in high-traffic areas.
- Walk, don’t run.
- Make sure rugs are secured and not folding up.
- Install handrails where needed.
- Follow proper safety protocol when using ladders or stepping stools.
- Ensure areas where slips, trips and falls could occur, are well-lit.
- Install signage that warns of potential hazards.
- Inspect fall protective equipment before use.
- Always wear appropriate fall protective equipment when working at a height of three meters or more.
Employers, this is a great time to make sure all employees are aware of how to prevent falls, and establish a fall prevention program if one is not already in place.